Thursday, March 4, 2010

Rings and Root Canals



This ring is not finished, but trying it on gives me an idea of what type of finish I would like to apply.

I am ring-phobic. I know this is a horrible diagnosis for someone who really likes making jewelry, but I am one of those girls who doesn’t wear rings well. Or, at least, I do not perceive myself as someone who wears rings well. Heavy sigh. My nails are always a mess (even when I am on my game and have a manicure once a week) and my cuticles can look shredded mere hours after I’ve had them done. Plus it is quite possible that when I gain weight, it goes to my fingers. Okay, it really goes to my hips, but you get the point, I think I have relatively thick fingers. So really, the last thing I want to do in the morning is draw more attention to my unsightly stumps by adorning them with pretties.

Perhaps I have been shortsighted.

I know girls like rings (along with shoes and chocolate – am I missing any other stereotypes?) but since I’ve never really worn rings I am missing out on all of the fantasmarific qualities that make one a good purchase. If you could be so kind as to post what you like about rings and what makes one a “must have” I would be forever grateful.

You can imagine my dismay when I discovered my first metal-smithing project this semester would be a ring. (Another heavy sigh emits, followed by cheerful thoughts of root canals.) Okay, seriously, I somehow managed to skip the ring project in my beginning level class three years ago and while I’ve been making some sort of jewelry since 2003 or so, I have managed to avoid ever even designing a ring. The photos I am posting are my progress on this project, my first ring: A sterling silver behemoth, with a nod (okay nod may be too subtle) to my architectural background. I will post again when it is finished, I have much to do…pouring resin and filing mostly. OH, and I liked this process so much I am making two more!

Rings, where have you been all my life?




Above: I have decided on the look of my ring and have cut out my sides. I placed the cutout sides on the silver sheet.


Above: I have soldered the "sides" of my ring to the silver sheet and I have cut out.





No comments:

Post a Comment